Thursday, March 14, 2013

Mardi, 12 Mars 2013: Macaron Mania

Since I had all of the equipment and ingredients, I decided to try my hand at macaroons today. I've been doing a lot of online research, learning from each recipe and style. I felt ready. Today was the day! Surprisingly, the macaroons were a hit with the family! I didn't like them at all. They were way too sweet and I only used ¾ of the sugar recommended...I think I'm going to come up with my own filling instead of using any of the recipes. They're all either ganaches, custards, or jams. EW!!! I'm more interested in a flavored buttercream. I tried a lemon custard filling for my first batch. It was good but too runny. I'm looking for something more firm. Other than that, I think I'm going to have to adjust my cooking time or oven temperature as well because there were hairline cracks on top of some of the shells. I'm pretty impressed with myself though. I can't believe it worked out! 


STEP 1: Whip egg whites until stiff peaks form

STEP 2: Add granulated sugar while mixing and incorporate your coloring one drop at a time


STEP 3: Fold in sifted confectionary sugar and almond meal

I used these silicone templates in between two sheets waxed paper but the wax paper is not necessary


STEP 4: Pipe out your macaron shells             STEP 5: Make filling as shells are baking


STEP 6: Test readiness of shells by gently pressing on top


STEP 7: Pop the shells off of the tray when fully cooled             STEP 8: Fill and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment