Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Mardi, 5 Février 2013: French Birth Control [or the Lack Thereof]

I had my second encounter with a french doctor today. This time it was for me. Gynecology. Oh, what joy...;-) Though my birth control has not officially worn out. I decided it'd be better for me to schedule my next injection sooner rather than later. Things are done more leisurely in France and I wasn't sure if I'd come across any problems. 

I've been taking Depo-Provera for the last 10 years and it's served me well. Depo is a long-acting, reversible form of contraception injected every 3 months either into your muscle or sub-cutaneously. Though my periods were generally light (when I had them) they would come with the worst PMS or PMDD. My body would ache from head to toe--much like when I'd have the flu. I missed so much of my senior year of high school because of this. I'd also fight with my family for really no reason at all. My period was such a handicap to me that my gynecologist and I decided to see if stopping it would change anything. And sure enough, it did! My last period was 8 years ago. Since I started the injection, I've had absolute control over my emotions. The only time I allow myself to emotional is when something is worthy of it. I no longer experience PMS or PMDD unlike most of my friends who are on other forms of contraception. Imagine my surprise and angst when this gynecologist tells me she will not allow me to continue my treatment...

The conversation went like this...

DR: "So, please explain to me why you're on this injection in the first place."

ME: *Insert history here* It's proven to work for me

DR: "But you're so young. I would feel uncomfortable giving it to you because you might still want children."

ME: "Yes. I want children. Someday. But not in the next 5 years."

DR: "But you could change your mind sooner than you think."

ME: "No...I'm sure I won't."

DR: "Well, we don't administer this form of contraception here."

ME: "Okay. Can you please refer me to someone that does?"

DR: "This sort of medicine doesn't exist in France. It's dangerous."

ME: "I'm sorry. I read that it was administered here. Why do you say that it's dangerous?"

DR: "That's what I believe."

Okay. FIRST of all...Don't tell me something is dangerous and then present nothing to back your statement up. I want to hear about research and statistics! Even word of mouth would have been more credible than her reply of "ce que je croix." You can't tell me that something is dangerous just because you don't know anything about it. Year after year, my gynecologists in Indiana or Virginia would present me with new findings on Depo-Provera--good AND bad. And out of all of the options that are out there, it is still the BEST treatment plan FOR ME.

SECOND, Yes, I'm young. For my personality and my way of life, I am TOO young to have children! I know myself well and I know that I do not want children until I am ready for them. This is something I CAN control and I prefer to thoroughly plan this part of my life! I want to have a steady and sufficient income even before I start planning for children. I want Andréa and I to have a few years alone to enjoy our first married years together. I want to learn more about my husband before we take on the responsibility of raising little human beings! What doesn't make sense about this??? I know that she's the doctor and I'm the patient but honestly???

THIRD. She wrote me a prescription for NuvaRing instead. Let's compare the two, shall we?
  1. Depo is an intramuscular/subcutaneous injection. NuvaRing needs to be inserted vaginally.
  2. The failure rate for NuvaRing with typical use is higher than Depo by 5%
  3. NuvaRing needs to be re-inserted every 4 weeks whereas Depo is re-administered every 12 weeks
  4. Both forms of contraception are reversible with fertility returning immediately with NuvaRing and Depo taking up to 2 years to wear off--Perfect for my alone time with the hubs     
Now let's go over the real pros and cons of each...[Yes, I really made a comparison table...You've gotta have the facts...And I spent all night researching so that we're all well-informed. This is information taken directly from the web and I cross-compared sites to make sure they were sharing the same information]
Depo-Provera NuvaRing
Physician-administered Self-administered convenience
No estrogen Low estrogen exposure (compared to pills and patch)
No nausea Minimal nausea
No breast-tenderness Minimal breast-tenderness
Amennorhea or shorter periods Regular menstrual cycles. With minimal irregular-bleeding
Delayed return of fertility after discontinued use (Up to 2 years) Immediate return of fertility after discontinued use
Minimal drug interactionsInteracts with many drugs and herbal supplements


No increased risk of:
  • Deep-vein thrombosis (DVT)
  • Pulmonary embolism (PE)
  • Stroke
  • Myocardial Infarction
Has cardiovascular contraindications such as stroke and heart attack. Research shows that risks are much greater when combined with smoking, recent surgery, history of cardiovascular disease, or old age
Decreased risk of endometrial cancer (By 80%) Decreased risk of ovarian and endometrial cancer (Numbers not provided)
Decreased symptoms of endometriosis N/A
Decreased risk of:
  • Iron deficiency anemia
  • Pelvic inflammatory disease (PID)
  • Ectopic pregnancy
  • Uterine fibroids
N/A
Decreased incidences of:
  • Primary dysmenorrhea (menstrual pain)
  • Ovulation pain
  • Functional ovarian cysts
N/A

Depo-provera has been shown to increase osteoporosis and no one knows if the osteoporotic effects are reversible. In keeping with good practice though, I take a calcium supplement everyday. I also maintain a high-intake of dairy products to make sure calcium absorption is sufficient. On top of that, I get a DEXA scan every two years which calculates bone density. And you know what? I am still good. 

I can't stop thinking about the French gynecologist and all of the things she said to me. My host parents explained that if people in France aren't well-informed about something, they just choose not to use it. But I don't understand how you can be a good doctor if you're not staying on top of the latest research and technology. The information and pamphlets she had given me were dated 2001. Are you kidding??? Just because you aren't required to stay up to date, doesn't mean you shouldn't. Research is done to better OUR well-being. It would be stupid to ignore it. It's free information that cost someone else thousands or millions of dollars to run the experiments.

I've decided to take matters into my own hands. I've ordered my next two injections from theswisspharmacy.com which is a reputable online prescription medicine distributor--according to several chemist and pharmacist forms. When my Depo arrives, I will have a doctor I know administer them. Problem solved. No unwanted pregnancies. No horrible menstrual period. Life will go on.

If you're planning on moving aboard and are on medication of any sort, I would recommend speaking to your doctor to see if you can get it shipped to you first. If not, I would research your place of settlement [ahead of time] to see who would offer you the same treatment. If all else fails, look up the alternatives and see what works for you. You know yourself the best. Don't let someone else treat your body like it's theirs.

3 comments:

  1. How annoying that the doctor wouldn't give it to you. I think that would make me insanely angry. It's good that you found a way around it though. I hope you don't have to see that doctor again :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. How annoying and frustrating, especially with her lack of knowledge on the birth control you're requesting. I, too, took the Depo shot for about 4 years and it worked wonders for me!

    ReplyDelete