Sunday, June 23, 2013

Mercredi, 12 Juin 2013: Le Grand Atelier du Midi

I was planning on spending the day with Krystle but as I was upstairs napping, my host dad came to me and said "Melinda, I need you to get ready right now because I can't go to the expo with your mom." Céline and Didier had been invited to the museum Granet exhibit by Phillip Cézanne, the grandson of the famous provençal painter Paul Cézanne. The show was called Le Grand Atelier du Midi which featured the older Cézanne's work. Papa had a lot of work left to do before his business meeting so he got me to go in his place. I quickly hopped in the shower, threw on a black dress, and made myself up with some classic black eyeliner and rouges-à-levres and ran out the door. 

I met maman, Phillip, and his wife Christine on the steps of the museum. I was obviously overdressed for such an event. This is how we normally dress for grand openings of exhibitions where I'm from though. The Cézannes and Céline thought it was nice though, so that's all that matters. While inside the exhibit, Phillip explained all of his grandfather's pieces--the history, his inspiration, and what it in turn inspired. All of the art in the museum was lent by another museum because they are all, of course, the originals. I was able to see not only Cézanne's work, but I also experienced the likes of Dali, Picasso, Renoir, Van Gogh, and Matisse. 


I don't understand art the way artists do, but I appreciate it. I enjoyed the exhibit thoroughly. I'm very lucky to have had Phillip and Christine there to give me a personal tour. My time in France has been nothing but blessings. I'm anxious about getting back to real life back in the states, but I've got to keep growing.

No comments:

Post a Comment