Sunday, June 30, 2013

Dimanche, 16 Juin 2013: Fête des Pères

Krystle offered to come get me in Marseille after last night's events. I knew she didn't have a car at the moment though so I told her not to worry. Andréa told me he would take me back to Aix last night but didn't. I decided I'd wait it out even though that's normally a stupid idea. While his cousins were over for dinner last night, he acted like nothing was wrong and kissed me obsessively. As if that was going to make me forget what he did.

I didn't sleep at all last night. I took it as an opportunity to get stuff together for Didier's surprise Father's Day dinner. I got up pretty early and started working. I had spoken with maman yesterday and we decided together that I'd do all of the cooking. I didn't really have any ideas and maman gave me a budget so I decided to go for my version of bar food. I used the leftover eggroll wraps and rolled up some random things. I made three appetizers with the wraps. The first consisted of cream cheese, shredded imitation crab meat, and sliced pepperoncinos. The second snack I made was filled with ground beef, barbecue sauce, and diced red bell peppers. The last little finger food I made was a roll of ground beef, worchestershire sauce, and diced green peppers. Once I made about three pieces for each person, I stopped. I didn't want to overdo it like I normally do. Remember, I always cook too much and we have leftovers for days!

Andréa woke up while I was in the middle of cooking and he tried to talk to me like nothing had happened. Sure, I had forgiven him, but I wasn't ready to go back to the way things were before. I had little to say and we were due at his dad's house for lunch so I went ahead and got ready. I didn't really want to go but I didn't want to make that into a conversation that would turn into an argument so I got in the car. Lunch in Carry was good. Andréa's dad is a fabulous cook. He made duck with a mushroom cream sauce. This is probably one of my favorite dishes he's graced us with. We, of course, had the rum caramelized bananas for dessert.

Andréa and I headed back to Marseille after lunch to retrieve the food I had made this morning. When we got to Aix, Didier was not yet there. The triplets arrived just as we got there and I was a bit annoyed because I thought they were spending Father's Day with their father. It turns out they only stayed for lunch so I had to scramble and make more food. Didier finally walked in about an hour after we arrived and was surprised we were celebrating Father's Day with him. Gregoire isn't old enough to understand these holidays yet, and the triplets are not his kids so he wasn't expecting anything. Didier is like a true father to me though so I'm glad I was able to make him happy. We had the roll-ups as an appetizer and for the entrée, I tried my hand at wings for the first time. I looked up a basic sauce and they actually turned out to be pretty good. They're not the Buffalo Wild Wings that I'm used to, but Didier loved them and that's all that matters. Success!

No comments:

Post a Comment