Thursday, January 3, 2013

Samedi, 29 Decembre 2012: The Italian Dinner Party

The italian masons working on our house had invited us to a dinner party tonight. Maman, Papa, Antoine, Nicolas, Louis--a cousin, Gregoire, Danny, and I all packed into the Renault Scénic to Berre L'Etang. Everyone was so friendly when we arrived, especially when they found out we were Americans. They were really sympathetic when they found out I was the family au pair because they have a niece that's doing the same thing in England. 


Robert was making pizzas for the first hour we were there. They have a nice, traditional pizza oven in their backyard. It was fun watching him make them, but the taste sensation was even better! I say this all the time, but it was so delicious!!!

I was amazed by everything that was going on so I shot a lot of pictures. As soon as Paliermo's daughter saw this, she herded me into the dining room where [I KID YOU NOT!] there was a huge plank of homemade gnocchi. She pointed to the hundreds of gnocchi and said "Photo!" Danny and I sure as heck started shooting, ha haha.

We all sat down for dinner soon after. I thought I was going to die because everything was so wonderful! The gnocchi was served in a homemade marinara sauce with humongous meatballs. We had a few after dinner drinks which included espresso, Limoncello, and sugar cubes that have been soaked in Eau de Vie (90 proof alcohol) and rare flowers from the top of the French Alps. I was quite drunk after the last drink.


Andréa picked Danny and I up from Berre L'Etang and met my family in person for the first time. The only kids he didn't get to meet are the triplets because they are with their father this week. The three of us headed to town and went to O'Shannon's for a few drinks. I ended up wanting to leave around 01h00 because I was so tired.

Danny headed back to his apartment while Andréa drove me home. I decided I didn't want to leave him yet so I had him drive to the top of the hill that I lived on. From here, you can see Gardanne. There were no stars out because it was cloudy but the twinkling of the city lights made up for it. It was so romantic...We sat up there together for hours.

When I finally decided I needed to get home, I realized I didn't have my keys. I had to call maman to let me in. I was waiting for her to open the door when I heard some intense snorting and running in my direction. It was a herd of wild boars!!! They are always in our yard but I've never seen them before. I was so scared I ran up to the balcony before I called maman again...I'm glad I know my fight or flight response works, ha haha.

2 comments:

  1. Pretty hilarious about the boars. And post some pictures of this new man. Hopefully he's better than your last men... Haha!

    ReplyDelete
  2. AMA Ristorante
    Traditional food of Italy is the best. There are lots of variety of pizza available in Italy. The one dish I really love having in Italy is gelato.

    ReplyDelete