Sunday, January 6, 2013

Jeudi, 3 Janvier 2013: Le Tirage des Rois

Kami and I passed out as soon as we got back from dropping Danny off at the airport. Though Antoine and Nicolas had left and the triplets were still with their dad, I had Gregoire. Luckily for the both of us though, the creche was open. I came back and did some housework after I dropped Gregoire off. Kami was still sleeping so this gave me the opportunity to finish ironing the last basket of clothes. 

When Kami woke up a few hours later we watched the latest episode of our favorite show, American Horror Story: Asylum. Halfway through the show, Didier comes in. He has a big surprise! Kami and I walk out to the dining room. Paliermo and Carmine are already sitting down--two of the masons that are reconstructing the house. They brought brioche! It's one of the cakes that are eaten after Christmas and New Years that celebrates the Festival of Epiphany--the revelation of God the Son in the human being Jesus Christ. In America this is known as King Cake while in French-speaking countries, it's known as La Galette des Rois. There is always a trinket baked within--either a plastic baby representing the baby Jesus (America), or a clay trinket such as a crown (France).


Didier cut everyone a piece of the brioche which was lighty and airy with candied fruit on top. A few minutes later, it was determined that Didier was King because he found the clay trinket inside. This ornament just happened to be of a beautiful woman. Carmine was second in line, he found the "queen" figurine which in this case was a humongous bean called "la fève". I decided to steal the clay trinket from Didier and make it into a charm for the rear-view mirror in my car. Ha haha.


 Turn your head clock-wise. The picture won't rotate

Later that night, Céline came home with another Galette des Rois. This cake was more dense like a pie and had a thick filling reminiscent of vanilla and almond. Mom and dad called me out to the dining room where three other men were sitting. Didier said something about me "doing this the traditional way this time." I didn't know what he meant but I went along with it anyway. He and Céline are notorious for showing me the absolute coolest stuff. First they made me hide under the table because I was the youngest one in the room. They then told me I had six options "Mom, dad, Melinda, #1, #2, and #3--for each of the men who were with us. I then had to call out my options at random--this determined who got each slice of the galette. I later understood that this was to ensure whoever found the trinket was fated to be King. Alors, there was only one trinket--a clay crown, and it was found by mom. She was King for the rest of the evening, but she's the woman of the house so she's treated like royalty anyway ;-)


No comments:

Post a Comment