Monday, May 13, 2013

Vendredi, 3 Mai 2013: An Evening Among Friends

My host parents left for Brittany, France this morning. They were invited on a weekend getaway by Didier's company. Knowing that they'd be gone all weekend, I went ahead and asked them if I could have friends over for a barbecue. They said yes as they always do so I went ahead and sent out a few text messages. After sending about the third one, I realized I didn't want to host a ton of people. I still had Gregoire under my care anyway so I made sure to invite people that would be kid friendly. 

Andréa came over right after work so I got lunch ready for the two of us. I made a green salad with the Lyonnais vinaigrette and topped it with a stuffed and sautéed portabella cap. Salads, sandwiches, and cereal are my thing when it's warm out.



When the evening rolled around, I picked Greg up from the creche with Andréa and then got Mark and Loukas from centre ville. The au pairs that I invited via mass message were busy so that was kind of a bummer, but honestly it worked out. The only people that ended up coming were Mark, Loukas, Krystle and of course Andréa who all know each other well and get along great. I didn't feel like introducing people or breaking the ice so this was the perfect group for tonight. 

Though I had originally stated that this evening would be a barbecue, I ended up making something out of the ordinary. Didier had told me this morning before he left that all of the vegetables in the fridge needed to be used, so I used them. I looked up some options on allrecipes.com by the ingredients that I had available and came up with a few ideas. I ended up making stuffed zucchini with a tomato sauce from scratch. It was absolutely delightful! 



Loukas and Mark brought hot dog stuff for Gregoire, Krystle brought my favorite greek salad, and Andréa brought the drinks. Gregoire ate everything on his plate. I was so proud! He was super happy to be in such good company too. He even got Loukas to play with him. So cute! I could never have imagined Loukas with kids before.



Tonight was absolutely perfect. We all had a great evening together. We chatted, ate dinner outside on the terrace as the sun was setting, and just really enjoyed ourselves. This is part of my solid group of friends here. 



No comments:

Post a Comment