Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Mardi, 7 Mai 2013: Thrifting

I picked Krystle up this morning to go to Plan de Campagne. I really wanted to do some thrifting and I also needed to print some pictures for the frames I bought Andréa so that was our best option for getting it all done at once. We stopped at the local shopping mall to print the pictures on my flash drive. I figured I'd just pop my USB stick into the self-serve machine, select my pictures, and they'd print from the kiosk like the states, but no...All of the pictures you select are sent to the main computer in the shop which are printed by an employee. I almost died when I saw the woman looking at my pictures. One of them was a naughty pic :-/ You couldn't see anything, but you could tell that I was nude. The woman just looked up at me and smiled. I could feel myself blushing. Fortunately, the picture was taken in good taste.

Krystle and I finally got the hours of Emmaus memorized after showing up all of the few times it was closed. Emmaus is one of the few thrift companies in France. It's like Goodwill in the states though the quality and selection, if you can imagine, is much more limited. 

Thrifting is a hobby in the U.S. There's always someone who's stumbled upon a good buy. People are much more generous when donating to thrift shops or re-selling to second-hand buyers in America. Maybe it's also because in some places we get paid for "giving" our goods away. I think we have a good number of second-hand shops at our disposal. In Harrisonburg, VA alone, there's Goodwill and Second Time Around. If you're looking for brand names or designers, then we have Plato's Closet and Duo. Thrift stores, or "boutiques d'occasion" as they're known in France, are not quite the same. Things that are sold in these second-hand shops can be priced ridiculously high like at Occa Deco in Aix-en-Provence. Then there's also Emmaus which sells even the most tattered of items, but at a meager price. 

Krystle explained how things worked at Emmaus and we took a look around. Surprisingly, I found two dresses, a jacket, and a purse that were in good condition and my style. The white jacket was made for a 14 year old girl, but I tried it on and it fit perfectly. Though all of my purchases should have cost me 13 euro, the guy at the desk only charged me 7. Krystle says that's the norm here. She's always paid half the price tag, and no more. I kind of like this place but it's sure to say you've got to be on the lookout for the good stuff. 

No comments:

Post a Comment