Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Samedi, 18 Mai 2013: The Godfather

I'm not sick often, or at least I wasn't before I came to France. But, with getting sick last night and it carrying on into today, I lost all interest in going the road trip to Croatia. We still got on the road, just Andréa and I under all of the thunderstorms. The two of us made it quite a ways down the road before we realized that everyone was driving like a maniac. I'm not sure why but when there's inclement weather in France, people drive even more idiotically. And they're already horrible drivers! It was when a blue car randomly decided to pull out in our lane and almost hit us that we both decided we wouldn't be going to Croatia. I was fine with that. I would rather stay safe. Car wrecks are unavoidable for the most part.

Andréa and I ended up going to lunch at his godfather's house the next town over. I met his godfather/uncle--Jean-Luc, his wife Claudine, and cousin Alexi for the first time. I also met their two huge and very old dogs Moose and Tika. They are all so sweet, charming, and hospitable! I felt welcome immediately. We all got to know each other over lunch. Andréa's godfather is an entrepreneur and works between Europe and the U.S. so we discussed Andréa's future move, what was to be expected, and what should happen overall. His godfather told him that he should move to the states for himself and that he shouldn't expect me to help him and that he should make the effort on his own. I completely agree with him. I got myself to France with help from no one, I knew no one, and I made it work. I want Andréa to prove to me that he can do it all on his own. It's kind of a test to make sure that we're on the same level, that we're both capable of anything as long as we put our minds to it. 

Andréa's cousin Alexi who is our age played high inquisitor. It was so cute how concerned and curious he was about our relationship. I was happy to answer all of his questions and he sure had a lot of them! Ha haha. Though all of the deep discussion though, I was really enjoying my lunch. Claudine made a type of risotto with braised beef as the entrée while Andréa bought a St. Tropezian ice cream cake for dessert. 

 

I completely fell in love with this family! I wish I had met them sooner. They all have this friendly, optimistic demeanor which is so contagious! They're the type of people that make you smile whenever they smile. And this family smiles all the time! It's the genuine type of contentment that makes you unashamed to beam. Their dogs were just like them too! Loving and loveable!!! I can't wait to see this family again!

No comments:

Post a Comment