Sunday, February 10, 2013

Vendredi, 8 Février 2013: Melinda the Chauffeur

I was supposed to meet up with two new au pairs today who had just moved to the south of France. I had to cancel though because I ended up having to drive one of the triplets around all day. Léa had a dentist and orthodontist appointment today which her father was supposed to take her to but he ended up canceling because apparently he had other plans. 

My day was quite leisurely until 10h30. I picked Léa up from her dad's house and then carted her down to centre ville to meet with her mom. I didn't really have anything to do in the city center so I headed back to the house in Meyreuil. 30 minutes later maman texts me to say that they're almost finished. Instead of taking the normal way back, I got on the highway and was there in about 5 minutes. I picked Léa up and we headed back toward Meyreuil. I decided to stop at Paul's, a sandwich shop, so Léa and I could get lunch without disturbing Didier and his colleague back at the house. 

Léa and I headed back to the house after lunch and I finished painting some closet doors and folded a few loads of laundry until we had to leave again. This time we met maman at the orthodontist. Maman had said that the appointment wouldn't take long but I didn't believe her so I took off for a drive. I parked in a parking spot for a few minutes so I could text Andréa. During this time, the other two triplets, their half-brother, and their dad's new nanny randomly strolled by. This girl did not seem nice at all. She didn't say anything when I said 'hi' to her. She just kept on walking. Whatever. It doesn't make any difference to me really, but your manners with strangers ultimately translates to how you behave around your host family. She looks like she's doing her job though--that's all that really matters. 

I had barely finished talking to Camille and Baptiste before maman texted me just 5 minutes after I dropped Léa off and said that they would be done soon. I turned the car around. I arrived back at the orthodontist's office just a few minutes later and pulled into an illegal parking spot assuming maman and Léa would be down soon. About 40 minutes later the two of them come down and I had finished half of the first volume of Vampire Diaries--in french. The next time mom tells me she's ready to go, I'm just going to wait until she calls me...

I hadn't planned on seeing Andréa tonight but I was so exhausted from the day that I decided to head to Marseille. I felt bad leaving the family especially since this is one of the two weekends where I get to see Antoine and Nicolas but I was so ready for a break. I was supposed to be gone Saturday and Sunday for some festivities anyway so I decided to just make the weekend last a little bit longer...

No comments:

Post a Comment