Thursday, February 14, 2013

Lundi, 11 Février 2013: How To Advance In A Foreign Language

I've been thinking a lot about my language skills lately and how they've advanced. Sure, I still can't speak french fluently but I'm picking up more and more phrases everyday. Here are a list of things that I believe helped me...

  1. Move to the country where the language you want to learn is spoken by the majority
  2. Move in with a native family: 
    1. Either with a host family through your school 
    2. Au pair 
    3. Or as a housekeeper
  3. Take language classes at a local university
  4. Find social events through Meetup or Couchsurfing
  5. Change your mobile phone language. Yes, the display language AND the language you text in
  6. Sign up for a dating site and practice your written skills with the endless number of creepers online
  7. Date a native (if you're lucky enough to find someone compatible! Yes...I'm a very lucky girl)
  8. Visit other countries where your new language is spoken
  9. Just go out and talk to people!!! Visit all of the shops and markets available. Strike up a conversation with a stranger! Throw parties and invite natives--this is a must! 
I know how blessed I am but I didn't get here through sheer luck. It was through strength and perseverence! A lot of you have written me about your impending departure to a foreign land. I just want to say good luck to all of you, and I know you can do it! As always, message me if you have any specific questions. <3

No comments:

Post a Comment