Friday, February 1, 2013

Jeudi, 24 Janvier 2013: "Parting Is Such Sweet Sorrow"

It was our last day in Morocco. I woke everyone up early so that we could take full advantage of our day before we had to get to the airport. Our first stop was the post office which was closed. Luckily, there was someone selling stamps outside. For 12 stamps, I paid about 12 euro--which according to the web is a legitimate price. I was able to send all of my postcards out but everyone else decided to wait and send theirs from a more cost-friendly location. I just didn't think the postcards would be as cool if they had french stamps on them...Everyone got their last freshly-squeezed orange juice afterward for 4 diram (0.40 euro). I'm really going to miss this...


There are literally a dozen citrus juice vendors all lined up in a row, all selling the same thing, all at the same price. They say there is a difference between each cart, but I wonder if anyone else can taste it. 
 
We decided to take one last walk through the souk so that Kami could find a specific bracelet. The two of us split up from the rest of the group and agreed to meet back at the hostel. Kami and I ended up getting lost. One guy came up to us and "offered" to show us the way out. I knew that this was going to come at a price but Kami and I were so tired of walking that we followed him. I tried stopping at a shop to pretend to browse at some things--hoping he'd just go away, but he didn't. Though we were kind of walking on our own he kept tabs on us. When we finally got to an exit he said "Thank you very much for the money." And so I said "Mais, je n'ai pas de l'argent" (I don't have any money). He then repeated himself in english, twice. I told him that he could have my bag of dried fruits as payment which he refused. He demanded money one last time which made me yell "No!" The guy just glared at me, ripped the bag that I'm eating out of right out of my hand and storms off. Seriously, you can't get anything for free around here really. Except one vendor gave me free Aker lipstick for being "nice" and buying tea from his shop. Aker is a natural vegetable stain that Arabs claim to be the first lipstick of the world. The stain is shaped into a hard formation for consumers. The consumers then take the Aker, lick their finger, rub the Aker, then rub their lips or cheeks with the transferred stain. I actually really like this stuff. It's long lasting and gives you such a beautiful natural rosiness. Thanks kindly vendor!!!



The rest of the gang met us back at the hostel. Apparently they got lost too but were able to find their own way out. We had one last mint tea on the rooftop with our comrades at Mama Marrakech and said goodbye.




Sarah, Kami, Molly, and I got our stuff together and headed to the airport. It's a good thing we left so early because the bus ride was about 40 minutes with all of its stops. We went through all of the security checks and sat down for lunch. As soon as we finished, Courtney, Pete, and Carlie met up with us. The Nottingham group was flying British Airways to Amsterdam the same day. Our planes boarded the same time and I watched as they got in line and went out the door. I continuously looked for them as we walked to our respective planes but lost sight of them. We were so lucky to have met...I feel like I've known those three forever! The girls and I were truly sad to part with them. On the same monochromatic scale, I took one last look at the scenery as I was waiting on the staircase--on one side you had the snow-capped Atlas mountain and range while the opposite view had the dry rolling mountains. I breathed in a big, deep breath, let the sun beat down on me for one last moment and said goodbye to Morocco as I climbed in the plane. This was truly the trip of my life and I cannot wait to come back...

Until we meet again...

 

No comments:

Post a Comment