Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Mercredi, 10 Juillet 2013: Butterflies, Ponies, and Béchamel

Today was a pretty neat day for me. I went out to the pool like I do every morning and cleaned all of the bugs off of the water surface. This morning though, I found a sweet little butterfly and rescued it. After its wings dried off, it flew away but then came back and rested on me. It continued to follow me around the property for the next few hours until I went inside. Maybe it was my flowery scent that it was in pursuit of.



In the early evening Monsieur Fallas arrived with two new friends for the horses that were already in the prairie, a horse and a mule. The horses don't belong to the vacation property but to a farmer just down the road. The horses are brought here every summer to eat all of the herb. Free food for the ponies, free yard maintenance for us.

Léa and I are always out in the prairie with the horses. It's how we spend our evenings here. I don't know if they sense something in me but they always come nuzzle against me, even when I don't call for them. I believe entirely that animals have another sense we don't know about. I will always love and respect animals due to that.




After spending some time with the horses, Léa and I went back down to the house for dinner. Tonight, we had tomato and basil tortellini in a Béchamel sauce topped with gruyère. I admitted to Bonne Maman that I had never made a Béchamel without intensely following directions. I'm kind of a stickler when it comes to cooking and like to follow recipes exactly as they're written. She enthusiastically popped up to show me how it's done--from the heart. In classic French cuisine, there are three basic sauces: Hollandaise, Roux, and Béchamel. The latter is made with flour, milk, and water. It's the simplest of the sauces and accompanies a multitude of dishes. I love the mild flavor :-) Fortunately, I'll never have to look up another recipe for it ever again!


No comments:

Post a Comment