Monday, July 15, 2013

Dimanche, 7 Juillet 2013: Bees-niss

Even though we're on vacation, I naturally get up around 9 every morning. Call it habit. Luckily, Didier was going into town and asked me if I wanted to go to get away from the property for awhile. Don't get me wrong. I absolutely love my host family but the kids can get to be a bit much and time away from all of the hyperactivity can be good for your mental well-being. 

When we got back from doing groceries, we spent some time cleaning the pool. After two days, lots of brushing, and several clarification tablets, the pool is swim-able! Guess where we spent the rest of the day?










After maman left to go back to Aix. The mayor came by the house to address a little problem we were having. Bees! This clan of bees had built a hive in one of the main doorways and they did not want to budge! The mayor of this little village also happens to be a bee-keeper so he was more than happy to help! 

In order to move the bees to a new home, we had to find the queen. Since there were too many to distinguish between, we decided the queen was in one of two spots where there were hoards of bees. We assumed the queen was in the little carrier and opted to leave it there overnight to see if all of the bees would enter. I got up-close and personal with this little army. Check it out!

The mayor moving the new hive down to the ocean of bees

Our new stripey pals

Bee larvae. Ew!!!

Bee pollen. Ooh!!!

Our new tea sweetener

My new BFF

Honey...Yum, yum!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment