Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Mardi, 9 Juillet 2013: Just the 5 of Us

Didier, Antoine, and Nicolas left this morning. Didier was due in Lyon for work and the boys are spending the rest of their summer holiday in Normandy with their mother and step-dad. I was still weary from the conversation with Bonne Maman yesterday so I basically tried to avoid her all day. Didier wasn't there to protect me of course, and I don't want the triplets to do any back-talking to their grandmother for my sake. 

I spent the early morning by the pool, swimming by myself. When I descended for some breakfast, Bonne Maman asked me to clean the 2nd story of the house while she cleaned the first and third. I was more than happy to do it. Cleaning is relaxing to me so long as I get to take my time. There are 7 bedrooms and 4 bathrooms on the second floor so I would be occupied for a long, long time and wouldn't have to purposefully avoid anyone. After my morning toast and coffee, I grabbed my phone, plugged in my headphones, and blasted some good ol' metal as I vacuumed, dusted, and polished. A few hours later, the entire floor was spic and span. Hopefully it'll stay that way for awhile! The home is sporadically occupied throughout the year so it's not normally so tidy. I'm happy to help :-)

Bonne Maman is always super content when I'm the one doing the cleaning. She knows that I'll never half-ass the job and that I treat the houses we're in as if they were mine. She went to town as I was finishing up and came back with some delicious pastries filled with apple sauce. Too bad I have no appetite when it's so hot. I'll definitely have to learn how to make those for the winter!


I knew that once all of the other adults left that Bonne Maman would have me and the kids do some yard work. I don't necessarily care because I'd rather not sit around all day, but I knew that the triplets would moan and groan. All Bonne Maman asked the four of us to do was pick up the stray branches and sticks in the garden and water the plants. Not so tough, right? But all three of the kids were huffing and puffing the entire time. It took all of ten minutes...I think I'm gonna start working my own children at a young age like my parents did. That way they'll appreciate their free time a bit more and not sit in front of the TV like these 3. It's a shame. We're out in the country with amazing scenery, tons of trails, and with a humongous medieval house to explore...and all they want to do is watch reality TV...Where's the spirit nowadays?

No comments:

Post a Comment