Friday, October 26, 2012

Jeudi, 25 Octobre 2012: The Hive


The kids left early with Céline this morning. I ate breakfast then hopped in the car to go to centre ville. On the way there I saw my language prof get off of the bus. I immediately call to her because I've missed her. She said to me "Melinda! You were not in class yesterday!" and I replied with "No more school for me." She reacted with sadness in her expression and said "Write to me!" as I drove off. I am disappointed that I will not see Nathalie as much but I sent her an e-mail saying that she could keep me on her e-mail list so I can tag along on cultural events. She's the greatest teacher here. She helps you understand the language in so many ways and doesn't just stick with the formal lessons, she also teaches us l'argo which is helpful in casual conversation. Plus, she lets us eat and gets us drunk in class.
When I got to town I couldn't find my usual free parking spots so I drove to the Rotunde parking garage which descends down 5 levels below the city. It's like the Hive from Resident Evil. I got out of the car, took an elevator back to ground level and walked straight to the post office. There was a crowd like you wouldn't believe waiting to get in. After 20 minutes of waiting, the post office workers opened the gates and all of the people just flood in. Though it was very hectic, there were more than enough employees going through the lines to help you prepare your package or envelope before you reach the register. My line was about 10 people long but I was in and out within minutes.
Kami and Molly met me at the post office since they had packages to retrieve and ballots to send. We stopped by the apartment to drop off the packages. Afterward, we went to the Hotel de Ville plaza to see if the market was still open. It was around 14h30 and the plaza had been washed with all of the vendors gone, so that was our cue to turn around.
We ended up walking to Crepes A GoGo which is a speedy creperie below ground. I asked an employee for her favorite crepe. On the crepe was powdered sugar, coconut flakes, and lemon juice. It was absolutely marvelous! I would never have imagined putting those things on crepes but it is now my new favorite combination! We went back to ground level and sat at a statue to eat.
Jacob eventually found us and we all got up to do some sightseeing. We didn't see much besides the three dolphins fountain and a cathedral but the walking was the fun part. Kami and Molly went back to the apartment afterward and Jacob and I went back to the papeterie so I could send another fax.
Somehow we got back on the topic of our "relationship." I think I brought up the fact that I was disappointed he didn't try to see anything outside of Aix and it just evolved from there. We came to an understanding Tuesday night that it would be futile to try and that there would be no attempt at re-kindling. I'm not sure why but I felt like he still had a smidgen of hope so I explained again that we were too different and that it just wouldn't work. Jacob eventually said something like "Yeah...And most of the time when I have something to say it's engineering related and that's not something I can really talk to you about so..." I kind of giggled in my mind. I felt like that was a shot at me as an attempt to redeem his manlihood but I wasn't offended. I just thought it was funny because that's pretty much what I've been saying all along--we don't have anything in common. Just because you like someone doesn't mean that that alone gives you grounds to be together. It's so much more than that. And of course someone who's only had one girlfriend wouldn't understand. I wouldn't really consider her a girlfriend though--especially since she didn't want anyone to know they were together. It sounded like she took advantage of him--used him to do her homework and basically paid him with "the currency between her legs." I hope that Jacob finds someone that fits his personality who will truly care for him. Sure, I could be that girl, but he would be the only person getting satisfaction out of the relationship. Jacob is a great guy, but he lacks the qualities that I need in a partner. And it wasn't something I realized until I spent more time with him.
I left Jacob at his hotel and picked the kids up from school. When we got home, I did the usual ironing and the kids went straight to the TV. I made them turn it off and come with me to the kitchen so I could make them a snack. When I say 'no' to something they never ask again, try to milk anything out of me, or argue. I love these kids :-) They're so well-mannered. I know that the children love and respect me. I'm not sure how I managed that but I'm glad.
As soon as Céline got home last night she started work on the "poulet bresse." It's a type of chicken indigenous to France and famous for its flavorful qualities. We ate the chicken with a salad. Somehow I've become responsible for all of the salad dressings. I guess this means they like my random concoctions. Tonight's dressing consisted of balsalmic vinegar, orange juice, olive oil, grated parmesan, oregano, salt, and pepper. The kids seemed to like it a lot so I suppose I should start a recipe book. We finished dinner with ice cream--some pretty amazing ice cream...I would compare it to Ivanhofs in Indiana.
I stayed home tonight. I've left every evening (besides one) since Jacob has been here and I felt like spending more time with my family. French people are pretty serious about the relationships they develop with the people around them. I'm the same, maybe I could thank the 1/16th french ancestry that I have for that. I sat at the dinner table and had the usual 'life' conversation with Didier--it's like our dessert. He does the dad thing and gives me advice, tells me about similar problems he's encountered in the past, and recounts the horrible things he's gone through--things he would never want me to experience. All in all, I know that I am with good people. Though Céline comes from nobility, she's worked all her life and earned everything that she has. Didier came from a blue collar family and worked his way to the top. These two are good examples to their children. I hope that I can contribute to the mental growth of these kids in the short year that I am here. 

No comments:

Post a Comment