Saturday, November 24, 2012

Mercredi, 21 Novembre 2012: The Key to Making Kids Eat

Gregoire was surprisingly well-behaved this morning. I usually wake up to him crying and he normally continues to throw a fit while his parents are getting ready. But today, he was in good spirits. He smiled all the way to the creche.

As soon as I got home, I got some ironing done. It's been awhile since I've been on an ironing spree. The laundry room in this house was difficult to access while the main stairwell was being worked on. 

The day went by pretty fast, though I'm not sure what I really accomplished. I picked Baptiste up from soccer practice around 18h00.

When we got home, I went straight to work. Céline had asked me to make a soup for dinner. Since soup was supposed to be the main course and ingredients were limited, I decided to make a vegetable chowder. Chowders are usually pretty filling. As for prep work, I chopped up some potatoes, carrots, pumpkin, red bell peppers, and onion. I sautéed the carrots, peppers, and onion in butter until tender, then I added the rest of the vegetables and filled the pot with water until the veggies were just covered. I allowed the water to boil and allowed the vegetables to simmer for 20 minutes. I then added milk and a suspension of starch and cold water to thicken the chowder. After a bit of sea salt and freshly cracked pepper dinner was served. I'm so happy because everyone enjoyed it!!! Camille who absolutely hates soup had nearly three servings! It makes me so happy to see the kids eat, especially because they're supposed to be the pickiest eaters ever. They've never turned down any of my meals, but I'm sure that day will come. I always just cook what I want to eat myself, but I always try to make it each dish pretty--that may be a key in getting the kids to eat. What I am sure of though, is that these kids have a texture problem. It's not the food itself that they don't like, it's how it's prepared/served--so I change it. Now THAT is the key to getting a kid to eat.

No comments:

Post a Comment