Monday, November 12, 2012

Lundi, 12 Novembre 2012: Sick In The City

Getting sick is always annoying. Try being sick and having to watch 4 kids. 

I've had this cold since last Wednesday. I'm at the coughing stage now which means it's almost over. I rarely ever get sick though and when I do, it's generally over by the end of the next day. My routine normally includes Zicam, OJ, and hot tea. Well, I had all of those things to help me recuperate and it's been nearly a week. Merde!!!

I think the problem is that all of the kids contract colds from each of their schools and bring a different variant of the virus home. Lucky me, I get to collect all of that antigen, suffer, and only then do I get to build a fleet of antibodies. Oh well, at least after this au pair experience I'll have an even stronger immune system. French colds, ha haha. I wonder if the viruses have accents too.

Another possible reason I haven't been able to get better is that I haven't had a decent night's sleep since we moved into the new house. I'll go to bed around 22h00, even 21h00 sometimes and I'll wake up in the middle of the night to Gregoire screaming for his mom. It scares the $#!^ out of me. Waking up to someone screaming is way worse than watching a horror movie before bed. Though, I could just be saying that because I love horror movies and they don't scare me. 

Gregoire has been sick for as long as I have. It's possible that the cold is the reason why he's been waking up in the middle of the night. Being in a new environment may also have something to do with it. Something tells me he would do this when he was at the old house too, but I would never know because he and his parents would be on the other side of the house. I wish he would just stop though. I know he's just a kid but I never dealt with that with any of my siblings. Dad told us war stories before bed so we had to learn to look fear in the eye at an early age.

It's pretty awful every time I wake up to Gregoire crying. I always come out to his sisters trying to take him downstairs to mom. The parents and I continuously have to explain to them that they can't do that and that if he's not hurt then it's not necessary. So, what I've been doing every night is stopping the girls before they walk out the door, tell them to go back to bed, and take Gregoire back to his room. I tuck him back in (sometimes with a bottle), and he falls right back to sleep. The triplets just don't understand that he needs to be less reliant on his mom. If he remains attached to his mother's hip then my job will have no real purpose--not for Gregoire anyway. 

Céline and Didier want Gregoire to be more independent which is completely reasonable considering he'll be 3 in just a few months. Sure, young children always want to be with their parents but most kids are okay so long as they can still see them. With Gregoire, if his parents are even on the other side of the door, he totally freaks out. It's horrible! Everyone is starting to coddle him less, including his Céline and Didier. If he starts crying, they tell him that they'll be right back and make their exit. When they leave, I tell Gregoire that if he stops crying that his parents will come right back. That's been working more and more each day and they really do come back as soon as he stops! He goes at it for awhile. 

The blog title is so much more appropriate at this moment...I just heard someone struggle to open a door, run to the bathroom, and puke. It was Camille. Poor girl. She had been complaining of feeling sick at dinner. She's a trooper. When I went to see if I could hold her hair, she was already heading back to bed. She says she doesn't need anything, but I'm gonna go do the nanny thing and sit with her for a bit.

Bonne nuit!

1 comment: