Friday, September 28, 2012

Dimanche, 23 Septembre 2012: My First Day Abroad


After a 12 hour flight we arrived at the London Heathrow airport. The time there was approximately 6:30am (1:30am at home). I had to reclaim my luggage for my next flight which did not depart from the same airport. Though I had more than 6 hours until my next flight, I decided to go ahead and get to Gatwick. From previous research, I learned that the National Express bus was the cheapest way to shuttle between airports in London. Cheap being 25 GPB ($40).



I eventually made it to Gatwick with hours to spare. This airport in particular does not announce the departure gate for your flight until 30 minutes before boarding so everyone hangs out in this gigantic lounge which is much like the food court at a mall. Some people were shopping at the duty free stores, others were in the restaurants eating, but most people just hung out in the lounge waiting for gate information. I was so exhausted at this point, having dragged a 28kg (61lb) suitcase from Point A to Point B to Point C. As soon as I sat down, I passed out. 

I woke up startled, with my mouth wide open and 6 Nigerian women smiling at me. Though I was embarrassed, I smiled back. After a short conversation with them, I found out we were going to the same destination. They talked me into laying down and passing back out, assuring me that they would wake me once they found out where our gate was. And they did. While the women were carted to the gate by an airport employee, I walked ahead. 

En route to my gate, which consisted of about 6 escalators going both up and down, I stopped on a walkway to take a picture of how cold and dreary London was. After I snapped a picture this cute, rugged french guy grabs my phone and says something that sounded like "I'll take your picture." Knowing I looked like absolute shit, I said no which he strongly backfired with a "Si!!! C'est belle." I chuckled, grabbed my phone, and walked on. I felt awful for being rude, but how bad do you think I felt after I had to sit across from him on my 3 hour flight to Marseille? Ha haha. He smiled a forgiving smile at me. I was content with that and thoroughly passed out. 

A few minutes into the flight the ride was so turbulent that it woke me up. Sure, going through the layers is normally a bit rough but we must've dropped several hundred feet at times. I thought this was going to be a scene out of Final Destination 1. Everyone around me was freaking out, even the men. The turbulence lasted about 7 minutes according to my phone. Once that was over I was back to snoozing. I didn't even bother with the drink service.


No comments:

Post a Comment