Friday, September 28, 2012

Samedi, 22 Septembre 2012: The Drive to the Airport

So, let's recap on my journey to France, shall we?

It all began the spring of 2011. I was taking the last french class for my 2nd bachelors degree. Monsieur Gilman tells us about a long-standing program known as a French Government Teaching Assistantship. I'm immediately interested. What's better than getting paid to travel???

Applications opened up for the 2012-2013 school year and I immediately applied, gathering all required documents as well as 2 letters of recommendation from my favorite college professors. By April of 2012, I had been accepted into the program! I immediately applied for my long-stay visa at the French Consulate in Washington, D.C. Little did I know that the "2 week" processing time would take up to 4 months! I push my flight back month by month, until two months had passed.

By the end of August, I find out that the ESL program in my academy had been closed due to budget cuts. Not allowing my fate to be decided for me, I applied to a school in Aix-en-Provence--Université de Paul Cézanne (also known as Université d'Aix Marseille III). About a week later, I find that I was accepted and given a small scholarship! Thrilled by this fact, I immediately applied for an ISIC (Interational Student Identification Card--discounts galore) and booked my flight for $500.

In keeping with french style, I threw myself a fancy farewell and birthday party. You all looked great by the way. I don't know if I've mentioned that enough times :-) I got smashed to avoid the stress of moving, said my goodbyes, and packed up though I had been packed since July!








Now, that it's the day of my flight...I can't sleep, I can't eat, I'm burning a fever...I'm finally freaking out!!! I so nonchalantly made these plans. I didn't really think about the people I would be leaving behind, until today. I guess I had comfort in the fact that I'd still have Facebook and Skype, but that's not the same. I walked into Billy Jack's today to drop off Ian's car keys--which he had kindly let me borrow all summer after I had wrecked my Tiburon. Soon after I walk in, Hannah gives me this great big hug that kind of strangled me in a loving way. I immediately burst into tears, shaking with sadness because she is one example of a great friend that I won't be seeing for a long time. Everyone is walking up to me, hugging me even though I think "hugs are for pussies", but today I needed it. Ian is the last to step up, the person that everyone in Jacktown affectionately knows as my brother. I lose it again but am comforted in his relaxed demeanor and stern confirmation that I'd be okay.

Dai and Mikey picked me up from Billy Jacks to go to the airport, I was still in tears as they pulled up and they chuckled as they saw me, a hardass, sniffling. We went to Chili's where Lauren was working. The hostess calls her on the headphone and she's immediately skipping out to the lobby. I wrap my arms around her and it's water works all over again. Lauren was a constant factor in my life and I shared a lot of good times with her this year. She's taken good care of me. I kind of died when I thought about who would keep me in line in France.

Halfway to DC, I had a nervous breakdown. Dai and Mikey tried to calm me down but I couldn't find any humor in their jokes with my blood pumping so hard, so I called Smokey. She catches me up on how to use my global phone and answers all of my questions to put my mind at ease. Smokey and I have been good friends for about 7 years so she knows all too well how to get me to relax. She knows that she has to be honest and blunt. I can't handle sugar-coating, it makes me worry more. I like to know what I'm up against.


45 minutes later...We arrive at Dulles...



No comments:

Post a Comment