Sunday, September 30, 2012

Dimanche, 30 Septembre 2012: Wine and Vine in the World of Au Pairs

I got up late today. About noon as appropriate on any Sunday. The first thing I did when I got up was check my e-mail. Alors! I got some news about potential au pair jobs. I've been looking for an au pair position for a few months now but nothing promising until today. It's more difficult to get an au pair job from the U.S. because most families don't want to deal with the process of the visa and travel arrangements. But since I'm already here my inbox is filling up! There are about 10 families that are interested in me, all with at least 2 children but no more than 3. The most recent message I received was from a german woman named that lives right outside of Aix. She wanted to meet for a casual interview today at 16h30 so Yann and I ate a huge breakfast and I got ready.

I walked down to the Office of Tourism where we were supposed to meet. I didn't see anyone that seemed to be searching for someone so I went up to the huge touch screens in the pavilion and sent out a few e-cards to e-mail addresses that I had memorized. I turned around after sending my french prof in college a card and saw a family of 5 blondes with blue eyes. All of the children were girls, it was unmistakable that this was my potential family. I immediately walk up to greet them and they just beam at me with their bright blue eyes. The girls were so polite, a little shy, but welcoming all the same.

We walked to a nice restaurant off of the Cours Mirabeau. The dad took the youngest of the two girls to get some snacks. The oldest girl opted to stay so she, her mother, and I walked into a restaurant and took a seat. The mom has worked in Germany, France, and the U.K. so her english is perfect. She thought that it would be the most appropriate language to speak so that we would fully comprehend one another. She's basically looking for someone to be with the girls after school while she catches up on her work. It's perfect because I'm completely available the hours that she needs help. 

She told me a little bit about the girls' personalities and habits. They don't seem like they would be too much work, being very independent themselves. While Simone is working at home, my job would be to cook, play, and help the girls with their french homework--which would most likely help me with my own french. Being the oldest of three kids has had its perks. You're already used to taking care of others'. I've been cooking my whole life and playing? Well, I'm a pro at that :-)

When the whole family reconvened, I tried to converse with the children. They answered abruptly and with my french at a beginner's level, it was a bit difficult to understand. They're all still getting used to me so they are still a bit shy. It's just how kids talk when they don't really know you.

Other than discussing family habits and the type of work that would need to be done, I also asked about any problems they might have encountered with previous au pairs. I guess the last one from the U.K. spent most of the day sunbathing and completely ignored the girls...WHAT?!? But I guess if you saw where they lived, you might be tempted to do the same. They live on a vineyard.

The mom invited me to have lunch on Saturday and see the property. I'd also get to see how the girls spend their time. This seems like the family for me but we shall see. The girls seem really sweet so far but I've been in so many situations where the kids turn out to be monsters when they're more comfortable around you. These are french/german kids though, so...I think they've had a more strict upbringing. If it isn't meant to be, I can't fake it. I would suck it up if I had to, but this honestly has to work for everybody...Wish me luck!


1 comment:

  1. Hi love!! I just read your blog so I am all caught up now. It sounds like you are having an amazing time and I am so happy for you! I'm proud you created your own path despite all your setbacks. I can't wait to hear more details : ) Miss you tons and tons!

    ReplyDelete